Area of focus: Community Service
This SentTell Scholarship was established in honor of Washington Burns, Executive Director of the Prescott-Joseph Center for Community Enhancement, Inc. The Prescott-Joseph Center offers art and culture, health care and wellness, child and youth development, and family support services to the West Oakland community. Through the Prescott-Joseph Center, Dr. Burns promotes the individual self-esteem of citizens in the community through education, skill training and cultural programs; thus supporting healthy families and economic self-sufficiency. Students who are seen as role models/leaders and can show proof of service in their community (at least 20 hours) are encouraged to apply.
- Must be a current member (in good standing) in the AVID program for at least one full year
- Must attend a four-year accredited university upon high school graduation
- Must be a prospective first-generation college student
- Must show an active involvement helping others in the community.
- Must complete the REV Scholarship Packet with attached essay
Essay (600-800 words)
What influences or experiences in your life have contributed to you being a future leader and/or role model? Include any volunteer work (at least 20 hours) and personal experience that has prepared you for this endeavor.
February 5, 2018
Email Applications to: